Monday, May 11, 2009

What a busy, but beautiful, weekend!











Wow, what a busy weekend! This was "Prom" weekend at our house! The twins had the Junior Prom on Saturday and it kept us busy all day Saturday. The morning started with nail appointments at 10 am (the girls have been babysitting to pay for these!) and continued through the afternoon for the hair updo's! (Have you seen my daughters hair? They have A LOT of it!) But I have to say... I would change a minute of it. They are beautiful in grubby clothes with ponytails, but they were stunning Saturday night! However, this momma sure felt old when they left IN THEIR DATES CARS for the dance and festivities! Geez, where did the time go?!
It's moments like these that make me stop and realize just how proud I am of how my children are turning out. They are such good kids! And I have to admit, you definately see it more with having a toddler with special needs and watching how responsible they are, how caring and how protective they've become. The friends they choose definately fall in line with their ideals regarding this also. The girls' boyfriends and friends know and act the same way regarding how attentive they are with Elizabeth and about spending time with her and helping her reach her goals; ones that are often harder for her than typical kids. All of the kids that come here know and respect the fact that my kids DO NOT use and DO NOT ALLOW the use of the word retarded in their presence. I can say the same for my son and his fiance. All of the above are just more reasons, on top of the ones more specific and individual to each child, that I'm proud of my kids. I know, of course, that I'm biased. But I really do believe they are turning out to be wonderful, productive human beings that anyone could be proud of! I'll stop now; I've heard tears are bad for electronic equipment!
Anyway, I've gotten off topic (nothing unusual there for me!). But the weekend was wonderful... even the rain stopped for the girls to get the pictures taken and get to and from Prom.
On a down note... The Gamble family, traveling the same road with us and adopting Grace, another young girl living in the same orphanage as Lilly, received a call that they were assigned the judge that would require lots of additional paperwork and the time and costs associated with that. (each judge apparently has their own set of requirements). So... if you all could say a prayer for them, that they are able to get this all accomplished smoothly and nothing holds them up, that would be wonderful. Grace needs her Forever Family just as much as Lilly, and the Gambles want to fly to pick her up just as much as we do to get Lilly. So, we know there is power in numbers.......

Sheryl

3 comments:

June Berger said...

How beautiful the girls are!! I know the feeling, of "where does the time go?!". They also had very handsome dates.

My son also had pictures of his cousin (with DS) at his prom, that was before he had two siblings with DS. Our household is the same, everyone that walks in the house is respectful of our "special" children" and no one uses the "R" word. All our older children's friends encourage our younger children to develop and participate in everything they do, isn't it wonderful to have great older children?!

June Berger said...

I posted by accident before I got to add that Elizabeth and Lilly are ADORABLE! We also feel it's important for our children with DS to have a sibling that is like them, that's one of the reasons we adopted two with DS. I'm game to adopt more, but my dh says "not now" ;o) . Blessings on your wonderful family.

Googsmom said...

Oh Beautiful!!!! I love the kids too and also am very proud of them. They are great kids Sheryl!!
{{{{HUGS the Kids}}}}}}